Part of young people’s development is learning to become more independent as you grow up. An important part of this is keeping yourself safe and healthy when you are out and about either with friends or on your own.
Here are a few things to think about keeping yourself safe and healthy:
Things to think about before you go out
- Where are you going?
- How are you getting there?
- Who are you going with?
- Who needs to know?
- Take only the money you need and keep it in a safe place.
- How are you getting home?
- Is your mobile charged and got credit?
- Who will you contact in an emergency?
Staying alert – while you’re out
- Arrange to meet up with friends and avoid travelling on your own whenever possible
- Where possible, stick to busy and well-lit pathways and places.
- Pay attention to what is going on around you
- Keep your mobile handy but out of sight
- Take notice of people you see on your daily journeys – report anything you think is strange to a teacher or someone you trust.
Staying safe – at all times
- Never arrange to meet up with people you don’t know!
- If you suspect you are being followed by a person or vehicle, let people know you are in trouble by shouting for help
- Get away as quickly as you can – go into the nearest shop or busy place or join a group of people to make it look like you aren’t alone
- Ask people to phone the police for you or if you can, phone them yourself (999)
- Do not talk to strangers
- Walk in groups
- Do not take gifts from people you do not know
- Never accept a ride from strangers
- Tell someone you trust if someone is making you feel uncomfortable
- Report suspicious behaviour to parents/carers
- Tell parents/carers about any new friends including adults
- Never leave home without telling your parents/carers where you are going
- Shout loudly if someone is asking you to do something you are not happy about
- If you go out with your friends make sure you stay together even if you fall out
- Never take shortcuts. Always stick to main routes
Always remember, a big part of keeping yourself safe and healthy is taking steps to keep safe online. For further support with how to do this, see the section on our website on Internet Safety